Is there a way to link issues together

General discussion about The Bug Genie
Kevin Sours

Is there a way to link issues together

Post by Kevin Sours » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:13 am

For example, if you mark a issue as a duplicate can you link it to the open issue that it duplicates? Bonus points if that automatically creates a reverse link. Similarly I would like to be able to add links between related issues in a simple way. It seems like pretty essential functionality, but I'm not seeing how to do it.

zegenie
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way to link issues together

Post by zegenie » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:20 am

Yes, that's possible, but the reason you don't see it immediately is that it's a workflow action that's only available in workflow transitions. In the default workflow, click "Reject issue" on a new issue, and you'll have the option to mark the issue as a duplicate from there.

If you just want to link issues which aren't duplicates, you can do that straight from the "More actions" menu -> "Add a relation for this issue".

Kevin Sours

Post by Kevin Sours » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:54 pm

I see how to mark an issue as a duplicate, but I don't see an option to link it to the other issue. I do not see a "Add a relation for this issue" option. There is an "add affected item" link but that only allows me to add a component.

I'm assuming there is a permission I'm missing but I've enabled everything under "links" as far as I can tell (there are a lot of permission screens and it's not entirely clear which affects what).

Note, I am currently running BG4.1.0 (which is the most recent version listed here: https://thebuggenie.org/download but I gather there are more recent versions available via github).

Thanks for your assistance,
Kevin

catstoday

Post by catstoday » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:40 pm

If you just want to be able to link to another issue page, you can edit the comments field and type "issue [IssueId]" and tbg will automagically make that into a link to that issue.

Kevin Sours

Post by Kevin Sours » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:38 pm

That's useful to know and provides a work around. However, I'd prefer having it be bidirectional -- especially for duplicates. It sounds like there is a way, but I just can't figure out how to do it.