Oxygen Theme not working after update

Get help using, installing and / or configuring The Bug Genie here
GunterUK

Oxygen Theme not working after update

Post by GunterUK » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:41 am

Hi,

I'm attempting to evaluate The Bug Genie 4.1 (downloaded 1st Feb). I have successfully installed a copy on our server and installed the sample projects - All was up and running fine. I then attempted to modify the existing Oxygen Theme through the configure > Theme and followed the instructions to download and update and refresh the page.

After doing the above and refreshing, the display of the site is unformatted and does not appear to be picking up the updated theme.

The path to themes folder is /thebuggenie/themes/oxygen but I get a warning message saying /thebuggenie/public/themes/oxygen is not writeable.
I have created the "public/themes" folder and made it writeable but with no effect, even putting a copy of the downloaded Oxygen theme in this folder too. The site still displays in an unformatted way after this change. I also cleared the "cache" just in case and browser cache too.

Any clues or help to restore back to default Oxygen theme please!

Thanks in advance
Gunter

zegenie
Site Admin

Re: Oxygen Theme not working after update

Post by zegenie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:08 am

Unfortunately, the automatic theme handling configuration section is broken in 4.1. This should definitely not happen, but will be fixed in an upcoming release.

When the site appears unstyled, does any images appear, or is it completely unstyled *and* lacking images? TBG does some symlinking in the public/ folder to the top-level themes/themename folder, which is broken when you try and update the theme from the configuration center.

GunterUK

Post by GunterUK » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks for the response.

The favicon and other icons are appearing, appears it is the general layout which is unstyled/unformatted.
Site is navigable and working otherwise, just not presentable at the moment.

GunterUK

Post by GunterUK » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:19 pm

Would there happen to be an easy fix or does it mean re-installing from scratch?
As there's no knowledge base articles in the forum, I tried looking at the CSS files but as cannot see anything obvious (I'm a novice in presentation aspects) and not familiar enough with the tbg architecture to debug my through it.
Your help is appreciated...

zegenie
Site Admin

Post by zegenie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:28 pm

It's definitely possible to fix without reinstalling, it's just a matter of finding which symlinks are broken - it's likely just one or two. If you're able to look at the html (use firefox or chrome inspector), you can see which css it's trying to load (should be something like oxygen.css). By opening that file directly in firefox, you'll see that it either doesn't exist or is redirecting to a "not found". Symlinking the top-level themes/oxygen/css folder (target) to public/oxygen/css (or something similar, I can't remember off the top of my head - which is why we're looking for the file TBG is trying to load) will make TBG load the file again. It might be you also have to do the same for js, but that's a start.

pschimmel

Post by pschimmel » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:54 am

I had the same issue. I realized that the oxygene theme had version number 5.0.0 but after doing the automatic update the version number of the theme was 4.1.0.

I was able to fix the issue by extracting the theme folder from the original ZIP file and copying the content into the theme folder on my server via FTP.

Mr. BJ

Post by Mr. BJ » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:25 am

I have same problem with unstyled site by use scopes but without error message. When I use direct path like domain.lt/tbg/public/ run site correctly. I use version 4.1.8 and have found on sourcecode (by Firefox):

Code: Select all

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/modules/publish/publish.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/oxygen/theme.css">
I am not sure but I found publish.css in /tbg/modules/publish/public/. Is this the searched file and what file I need to edit?

The issue of pschimmel has not helped.

Best regards and sorry for my bad english,
Bjoern

taracque

Post by taracque » Tue May 03, 2016 12:49 pm

To fix this, just open the themes/oxygen/theme.php file, and change the

$tbg_response->addStylesheet('oxygen/oxygen.css');
line to

$tbg_response->addStylesheet($webroot . 'css/oxygen/oxygen.css');
that will fixes the this issue.

craigarno

Post by craigarno » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:16 am

Same issue here, but worked after manually applying this fix.

Then I received the warning /public/themes is not writable.
cd public
ln -s ../themes .

fixed the warning. I'm a brand new user, just now getting to the point where I'm trying to learn Buggenie. Losing the primary theme and looking at a barely readable page was a little disconcerting after pressing the "Update" button.

I'm glad I was able to find and understood this solution.

BTW, even after applying this fix to Firehouse, Firehouse is still unusable. Firehouse comes up, but text is overwritten. So the only usable theme at this writing is Oxygen, and it says it is at 4.1.0.

rikki

Post by rikki » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:18 pm

craigarno wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:16 am
Same issue here, but worked after manually applying this fix.

Then I received the warning /public/themes is not writable.
cd public
ln -s ../themes .

fixed the warning. I'm a brand new user, just now getting to the point where I'm trying to learn Buggenie. Losing the primary theme and looking at a barely readable page was a little disconcerting after pressing the "Update" button.

I'm glad I was able to find and understood this solution.

BTW, even after applying this fix to Firehouse, Firehouse is still unusable. Firehouse comes up, but text is overwritten. So the only usable theme at this writing is Oxygen, and it says it is at 4.1.0.
i see... i'll try that